Grading, Academic Year and Language of Instruction in Croatia
The Croatian educational institutions use a 5-point grading scale.
| Grading Scale||Grade description (In English) ||Grade description (In Croatian) || Notes||US Grade |
| 4.50-5.00|| Excellent|| Izvrstan || Highest grade|| A|
| 3.50-4.49|| Very Good|| Vrlo Dobar || || A|
| 2.50-3.49|| Good|| Dobar|| || B|
| 2.00-2.49|| Sufficient|| Dovoljan|| Minimum pass grade|| C|
| 1.00-1.99|| Insufficient|| Nedovoljan || Requires student to retake exam/resubmit work|| F|
European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)
Along with the grades, Croatian higher education institutions
use ECTS credits. In addition to grades, higher education institutions in Croatia award ECTS credits. ECTS credits are given after the completion of the course and the examinations.
- 1 year= 60 ECTS credits
- 1 semester= 30 ECTS credits
Student Transcript book (“Indeks”): This book contains the ECTS credits and the grades received by the student. The “Indeks” is signed by the professor after passing all the required exams. Also, attendance at the courses is marked by the professor along with the signature in the Indeks.
Language of Instruction
The language of instruction in Croatia is Croatian. Also, education of the national minorities is organized in Croatia and the language of instruction is the language of the relevant national minority group.
The academic year in Croatia runs from October 1 to September 30, and is generally divided into two semesters:
- Winter semester that starts from October 1 and ends on 28/29 February.
- Summer semester starts from March 1 and ends on June 30
- Winter exams: February 1 to February 28/29
- Summer exams: June 1 to July 15
- Fall exams: September 1 to September 30
Holidays in Croatia generally are of 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in April and from mid-June to September. The Croatian higher education institutions are closed on national holidays, which are:
- New Year’s Day: January 1
- Three Kings Day: January 6
- Easter Sunday and Monday
- Corpus Christi
- Labour Day: May1
- Insurrection Day: June 22
- Day of Croatia Statehood, 1991: June 25
- Liberation day: August 5
- Feast of the Assumption: August 15
- Independence Day: October 8
- All Saint’s day: November 1
- Christmas: December 25
- Boxing Day/St. Stephen's day: December 26