Scholarship Programmes for International Students in Croatia
Croatian Government Scholarships for International Students
The Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia provide scholarships for international students, higher education institution professors and researchers who wish to obtain professional experience in higher education institutions
The scholarships are offered through bilateral and university bilateral agreements, and through programmes such as Erasmus and CEEPUS administered by the Agency for Mobility and EU Programmes
The Ministry of Education of Croatia offers scholarships to citizens of countries that have a bilateral agreement/educational cooperation with Croatia. Scholarships through bilateral agreements are offered to Croatian nationals abroad and to international pupils and researchers at the higher education and scientific institutions in Croatia.
Citizens of the following countries are eligible to apply for the scholarship on the basis of bilateral agreements or educational cooperation programme:
The Czech Republic, Spain, Ukraine, Portugal, Belgium-Flanders, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Israel, Slovak Republic, China, Hungary, Poland, Germany, Montenegro, Greece, Romania, Turkey, and Italy
Scholarship provider: Ministry of Science, Education and Sports and the Agency for Mobility and EU Programmes
Scholarships are offered to students, professors and researchers. Following types of scholarships are offered:
One semester studies for pupils of Croatian language abroad
- Eligible candidates: Undergraduate and graduate pupils whose major is Croatian language and literature are eligible for this scholarship. Such students must finish at least 2 semesters at their home institution.
Semester / partial studies
- Duration: 3-10 months
- Eligible candidates: Undergraduate and graduate students.
Undergraduate / graduate studies
Full PhD programme (36 months)
Partial PhD studies
Candidates must be admitted in the PhD course at the home country higher education institution or in any foreign country, except Croatia.
- Duration of PhD studies: 12 months
Post doctoral studies and research
- Duration: 1 to 10 months
- Eligibility: Candidates must possess a PhD degree or its equivalent
- Duration of visit: 3-21 days or 1 to 10 months
- Eligibility: Professors and researchers who have a PhD degree are eligible for this type of scholarships.
Summer course (2 weeks)
All the above mentioned scholarships allow students and researchers to study or research in the science or arts fields at a Croatian higher education institution.
- For undergraduate and graduate studies scholarships, candidates’ age must not exceed 25 years
- For postgraduate studies scholarships, candidates age must be below 35 years
- For post doctoral scholarships, candidates’ age must not exceed 45 years.
Also, there is no age limit for summer course and research visit scholarships in Croatia.
Following students cannot apply for the bilateral agreement scholarship programmes:
- International students having a residence permit or are applying for a residence permit in Croatia
- Pupils who are already admitted in a course of study in Croatia
- Pupils applying for part-time course
- Pupils applying for non state-funded universities
For undergraduate / graduate studies: Monthly allowance of 1.300,00 HRK, accommodation in student dorms and subsidized meals at student cafeteria.
For postgraduate studies or research: Monthly allowance of 1.500,00 HRK, students dormitory accommodation and subsidized meals at student cafeteria
For scholarships of 21 days or shorter: Daily allowance of 150, 00 HRK and student dormitory subsidized accommodation
For summer course (2 weeks): Covers tuition-free, meals and accommodation.
University Bilateral Agreements
Many of the higher education institutions of Croatia have bilateral agreements with higher education institutions abroad. International students must check the website of their home higher education institution and find out whether the institution has bilateral cooperation agreements with any of the higher education institutions of Croatia.
If there is any such cooperation agreement, then the home institution will announce a competition for the available study courses at the higher education institutions of Croatia. This cooperation agreement is for student and faculty exchange, seminars and conferences, joint research projects, and professional and administrative staff exchange.
CEEPUS (Central European Exchange Program for University Studies)
CEEPUS is an academic exchange programmes for pupils and teachers from central Europe based on the multilateral agreements in the area of education and research.
Member countries of CEEPUS are:
The Slovak Republic, Prishtina/Kosovo, Albania, Serbia, Hungary, Moldova, Austria, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Croatia, Montenegro, the Czech Republic, and Macedonia.
Types of Mobility
There are 2 general types of mobility
- Network mobility: This is the mobility within CEEPUS network
- Free-movers: This is the mobility outside CEEPUS networks
CEEPUS Scholarships for:
- Semestral students: 3-10 months
- Doctoral pupils who are working on their thesis. They are allowed to stay in Croatia for a period of less than 3 months
CEEPUS scholarships cover the living expenses, accommodation and basic medical insurance. Also, tuition fee is covered. Scholarships holders are given monthly stipend along with other benefits.
CEEPUS Scholarship Application Procedure
Candidates must first register at the CEEPUS website
and then fill in the CEEPUS scholarship application form and submit it online.
CEEPUS Application deadlines
For network mobilities-
- For winter semester: June 15
- For summer semester: October 31
- For summer semester: November 30
Erasmus Mundus funds higher education pupils and teaching staff mobility activities between European higher education institutions and higher education institutions from targeted third-countries.
Students and teaching staff from third country partner higher education institutions who want to study at the selected higher education institutions of Croatia can take part in the mobility activities at all higher education levels-undergraduate, master, doctorate, and post-doctorate. See more details
Erasmus+ programme includes all education and training areas, and provide opportunities to Europeans to study, work and teach abroad. This programme began in January 2014. This programme is for students, researchers and teaching staff of higher education.
Students who wish to take part in this programme must be admitted in the study programmes of the participating countries, which are EU member countries, Norway, Iceland, Turkey, Liechtenstein and FYR of Macedonia.
Erasmus+ Programme Types of scholarships
- Student mobility for studies
- Student mobility for traineeships
- Staff mobility for teaching
- Duration: 2 days to 2 months
- Staff mobility for training
- Duration: 2 days to 2 months
- Erasmus+ master degree loans
- Erasmus Mundus joint master degrees
To know about the Erasmus+ programmes in Croatia click here